From: UK medical / health care library community / information workers [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Moth Jennifer
Sent: 25 February 2019 11:54
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: SciHub Query

Dear Emily

I am aware of it, yes.  As far as I am aware the content is made available by researchers who have disregarded copyright when uploading full text articles to the site.  Which might explain why the URL keeps changing!

I haven’t been following the full story of its development but the basic argument by the creator seems to be that researchers are often unable to access relevant research in their own field due to the expense of journal subscriptions.  They also object to the way that subscription journals operate.  i.e. in order to progress in your career it is better to publish in the more prestigious journals, who charge the author to publish, and then retain the copyright and then charge *again* to access the article.  This has led to authors being unable to access or share their own work..

The open access movement has had some casualties.  I can’t remember the name off the top of my head but a guy in the States was arrested after he mass downloaded documents using his library access.  He hadn’t actually done anything illegal.  He basically just did the electronic equivalent of checking out all the library books in one go.  But while in his cell he was reported to have committed suicide.  The owner of the Sci-Hub website (who is in hiding) cites this as a reason for not handing themselves in for copyright infringement.

To be honest I wouldn’t publically admit to using this site and certainly wouldn’t publicise it in any form to my users.

Kind regards

Jenny

Jennifer Moth | Clinical Outreach Librarian
Education, Training and Development (ETD) | Oliveira Library

Education Centre | Isle of Wight NHS Trust | St Marys Hospital | Parkhurst Road | Newport | Isle of Wight | PO30 5TG
01983 822099 ext 4519

Normal Working Hours

Mon - Fri 9.15am - 3.45pm | Day off Weds | Based in A&E Fri 10am - 12pm

OLBlueThumb - NewknowledgeShare signaturetwitter sigfacebook sigProduct_Button_DMP_100px