Dear Richard

I’m writing as GEM list owner.

Of course it is important to address issues like this.  In the future though I think it would more _courteous_ of you to email the person or organisation involved off list first, voicing your concerns, and have a dialogue with them.

If you remain unsatisfied with their response, that would be the moment to raise the issue publicly.

Sometimes, people will initiate a discussion via the GEM list, raising concerns about a particular post.   In that case, messaging via the list is the only way to do it, as otherwise no one else will be able to join in - but it is usually been done in a more conciliatory way.

I think it matters how people express themselves in our forum.

To take an extract from your opening email:
“Sorry, London Transport Museum, but this is most definitely NOT a proper ‘freelance’ opportunity, and I really don’t think that HMRC would regard it as such.  You see….”

This opening line is flippant and patronising.    I think that if you are raising a serious issue you should do so with respect for others’ feelings, especially in a forum involving 1700+ people.

Martin

Martin Bazley
Digital heritage consultant
Martin Bazley & Associates