Hi Jesper,

Useful to know about the diminishing returns of the extra b0s; I've adjusted my inputs accordingly to avoid this taking an extraordinarily long time (got about 300 inputs!).

Thanks very much for your reply,
Iain

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 at 16:26, Jesper Andersson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Dear Iain,

> I'm processing some DTI information and using topup in the preprocessing to estimate the fieldmaps for geometric distortion correction. My question is that it's been running for > 2 hours now on one dataset and it still hasn't exited. I've used topup before on the same computer / FSL installation and don't remember it taking anything like this long (though admittedly that was on a dataset with only 2 b0s of opposite blips; currently I've got 8 b0s being processed). The logfile hasn't got anything that looks like an error in it, and seems to have stalled at the current point (it's been sitting at the same stage for at least an hour when I first checked it). I'll paste the log file into the bottom of this email for reference.
>
> Is it normal for it to take this long perhaps due to the number of b0 images? Or does it sound like it's hit a snag?
>
> The topup data is 8 b0 images, the first 5 are A >> P (image appears displaced "downwards"), and the last 3 are P >> A (displaced "upwards"). I got the total readout time from the .json file generated in DICOM conversion using dcm2niix. I'm 99% certain I've set up the acquisition parameters correctly:

the execution time scales pretty much linearly with the number of volumes you have in your --imain file. My advice is to use only a single pair since one sees very little, if any, improvement of results by using more than that. We still recommend acquiring more than one (3-5) b0, but that is to make sure that you have at least one b0 for each direction that is not damaged by intra-volume movement.

Jesper