Thanks for all of these replies, this was all very helpful. The formulas Tom suggested seem to have done the trick (effect sizes needed for simple one-way and two-way t-tests only). Thanks again, very grateful for your expertise.

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 2:50 PM Glasser, Matthew <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Maybe you can use %BOLD instead as a measure of effect size.

Matt.

From: FSL - FMRIB's Software Library <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Thomas Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 5:04 AM
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [FSL] Converting t-statistics to Cohen's d?

Hi Nicole,

Getting a Cohen's d for an arbitrary contrast out of a GLM is basically impossible.  That's because Cohen's d is only precisely defined for one-sample and two-sample comparisons.

I can offer three options:

1. One-sample t-test.  If your design is nothing more than a one-sample t-test, then you can use this relationship to compute Cohen's d from the t statistic image *_tstat*

d = t / sqrt(N)

2. Two-sample t-test.  If your design is just a two-sample t-test of groups of size N1 and N2, and your contrast tests for the difference, then you can use

d = t * sqrt( 1/N1 + 1/N2 )

3. For any other contrast, you need to work with R^2 or Cohen's f^2.  These relationships will get you there.  Make an F test if you don't already have it, as F = t^2, and then

f2 = F * v1/v2
R2 = f2 / ( f2 + 1 )

where v1 is the numerator DF and v2 is the denominator DF of your F-test; for a squared t-test, this is v1=1, v2=N-p, where p is the total number of regressors in your model.

f2 is the noncentrality parameter used for power analyses, while R2 has the more natural "variance explained" interpretation.

-Tom