Lilith, thanks for sending.

I agree that dialogue is necessary. In that spirit, would anyone like to propose a panel with me? I think it would be useful to set out the shape of the resistance to Singer’s arguments on disability and value (McBryde Johnson, for example) and the important contemporary work that engages our relationships with non-human animals from a politicized disability perspective. I would like to see that perspective represented at the conference, and in the proposed journal issue.

Nova Scotia is wonderful in the summer but I’m not sure about early  October – I guess there would be no need to worry about jellyfish!

Kate

From: The Disability-Research Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of LILITH Finkler
Sent: February 5, 2019 12:36 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Peter Singer keynote at Dalhousie Law Conference

Dear Colleagues. I am forwarding you the announcement about the Animal Law Conference because the keynote speaker is none other than Peter Singer! If you wish to contact the organizers to share your concerns, you can reach them at [log in to unmask] .

Increasingly, links are being made between the disability rights movement and the animal liberation movement. These are two strong social justice movements. I do not believe we should ignore speciesism -at the same time, the animal rights movement must not ignore ableism. Dialogue is certainly necessary! Lilith

Now accepting proposals for presentations!

View this email in your browser

Animal Justice is thrilled to announce the inaugural Canadian Animal Law Conference! Co-hosted with the Schulich School of Law at Dalhousie University, the conference will take place from October 4 - 6, 2019, in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Animal law has grown tremendously in Canada over the past decade, and it's the right time for animal law leaders to gather, take stock of our accomplishments, and consider the future. The conference will bring together animal rights lawyers, scholars, advocates, and students to reflect on lessons learned, and how to further advance protections for animals.

The conference will feature a special keynote address from Peter Singer, philosopher and author of the groundbreaking book Animal Liberation.

Submissions for the inaugural Canadian Animal Law Conference are invited on topics relating to advocacy, litigation, legislation, policy, and our legal and ethical relationship with non-human animals. To learn more about submissions, please visit the conference website.

We hope you will consider joining us in October! We will let you know when conference registration opens.

Sincerely,

Camille Labchuk
Executive Director

Animal Justice leads the legal fight for animal protection in Canada. Our lawyers work to pass strong new animal protection laws, push to prosecute animal abusers, and fight on behalf of animals in court.

Visit www.animaljustice.ca to learn more.

5700-100 King Street West
Toronto, Ontario
M5X 1C7

unsubscribe from this list

supporter

________________End of message________________ This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about list administration should be sent to [log in to unmask] Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page.