Student 2019/20 (Data Futures) 2.2.0 coding manual release

Student 2019/20 v.2.2.0 release and resources reminder

Email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser.

Dear colleagues,

CODING MANUAL: VERSION 2.2.0, GUIDANCE UPDATES
As part of this release we have made changes that affect the schema. This is classed as a minor version change so the Student 2019/20 coding manual is now at v.2.2.0

Schema changes for fields are as below:

  • To align with the C18051 specification, a field has been added to the SupervisorAllocation entity to optionally record REF2021 Units of Assessment before this data becomes mandatory in 2020/21. The valid entries in this field align with the REFData.UOA2021 field in C18051.
  • Nationality.NATION:
    • Removed valid entry IC (Canary Islands),
    • Added valid entry SY (Syria [Syrian Arab Republic]).
  • LanguageProficiency.LANGUAGEID:
    • Updated valid entry 02 British Sign Language to 04 British Sign Language to align with coding frame in ModuleDelivery.LANGUAGEID.
  • CourseDelivery.BRIDGECRS:
    • We previously communicated that we had removed code 01 (Not a foundation degree to degree bridging course). This change is now updated in the schema.

We have also updated guidance to some fields. These changes, including additional guidance for FinancialSupportScheme.FISUPTYPEID, are documented in the revision history

DATA TYPES: UPDATE
We have recently identified an issue with the way the schema has been set up for all instances of Student identifier (SID). Although this doesn’t impact the way providers will return their data, we wanted to ensure that providers and software suppliers were aware that a change to the XSD is expected as a result. Currently where HUSIDs are returned with leading zeros within the SID field, the leading zeros are removed on import to the system.

This represents a data quality issue which we need to address through amending the schema to prevent this happening. We are planning to review all datatypes to ensure that any necessary changes are applied consistently. HESA will provide an update with the outcomes of the review as soon as possible.

DATA MIGRATION UPDATE
We are continuing to refine the data migration specification to support HE providers returning continuing students for Data Futures. We will provide an update when we have more information.

RESOURCES AND SUPPORT
Our Data Futures resources area includes the following support materials:

  • Preparation assessment
  • Updated data scenarios
  • FAQs on topics including key concepts and returning data

We have released an e-learning course to compare the differences between the v.1.4.0 Student 2019/20 specification presented during the June and July workshops and subsequent releases.

The course has eight modules and you will require audio/headset.

Our e-learning platform is hosted by Easygenerator and you will need to subscribe to access the content. We will only use this information to administer and monitor use of the system: a full privacy statement is available in our Webinars and e-learning area.

If you have any queries, please contact [log in to unmask] or call +44 (0) 1242 211 144.

Many thanks,

The Data Futures team

“We”/“HESA” refers to the Higher Education Statistics Agency Limited and/or its wholly owned trading subsidiary HESA Services Limited. See https://communications.hesa.ac.uk/e/547782/about-regulation-governance/7wk9kc/938018638?h=kaB0x8emU-zyDM9HdRjoy4M0kxSAApixgknJrUtFzGo

Copyright © 2019, All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:

Higher Education Statistics Agency Limited
95 Promenade
Cheltenham, GL50 1HZ
United Kingdom

Higher Education Statistics Agency Ltd (HESA) is a company limited by guarantee, registered in England at 95 Promenade Cheltenham GL50 1HZ. Registered No. 02766993. The members are Universities UK and GuildHE. Registered Charity No. 1039709. Certified to ISO 27001.

HESA Services Ltd (HSL) is a wholly owned subsidiary of HESA, registered in England at the same address. Registered No. 03109219.

This email is private and confidential. If you have reason to believe that you have received this message in error, please contact the sender immediately and remove it from your system.

No employee or agent is authorised to conclude any agreement binding on HESA/HSL without express written confirmation by the Chief Executive or an employee of HESA/HSL with director in their title.

To unsubscribe from the DATAFUTURES-INHOUSE list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=DATAFUTURES-INHOUSE&A=1