We are knee deep in an infrastructural moment in geography, reflecting growing anxieties over environmental crises and fallout from decades of austerity politics and a broken social contract. While geographers (and allied thinkers) have explored the social and political dimensions of vital infrastructures in varied and nuanced ways, especially as they relate to urbanization (Anand et al. 2018; Gandy 2005, 2006; Hall et al., 2014; Meehan 2013; Ranganathan 2018), the nature and character of social infrastructures – especially in relation to labour and reproductive struggles – have received less attention (c.f. Kaika 2017, Simone 2004). Urbanization involves the material transformation and expansion of city frontiers, but also an intensive transformation of space that is the result of paid and reproductive labour, technologies, and the undervalued work of housewives, children, immigrants, communities of colour, and other peoples who allegedly threaten dominant regimes.

This session invites papers that explore theoretical, empirical, and epistemological approaches to social infrastructures. We ask: who or what performs the relational work of cities, under what conditions, and in service of what kind of futures? In advancing the notion that urbanization as a relational process, what does the analysis of social infrastructures offer as a way of addressing the relative neglect of paid and reproductive labour in urban theory? How might a critical labour perspective enrich our understanding of the material life of cities? Or, put another way, what do social infrastructures reveal about the state of cities, labour, its material foundations, and the future?
Please send an abstract of up to 250 words to the organizers ([log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]) by Monday February 4, 2019. Thank you!

To unsubscribe from the CRIT-GEOG-FORUM list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=CRIT-GEOG-FORUM&A=1