Answer from Takanori on a query I made in relation to Beamtilt and Cs corrected microscopes.

From: Takanori Nakane <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 13 February 2019 12:01
To: Joseph Lyons
Subject: Re: CTFrefine/beamtilt query with Cs corrected

Hi,

> Is the consensus not to do
> beamtilt refinement on data from Cs-corrected microscopes?

My short answer is yes. There is no point refining beam tilt
in Cs corrected datasets (unless you are working at extremely
high resolution).

Phase errors due to beam tilt are proportional to Cs,
as indicated in Eq. 4 of
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3056894/.
Thus, the error is very small when Cs is close to zero.

The plots you attached show phase errors.
As expected, your Cs-corrected dataset does not show much
errors. When CtfRefine converts phase errors into a beam tilt,
the values are divided by a small number of Cs, sometimes
causing numerical instability and giving unnaturally large
tilts. So, your large tilt (-9 mrad) is not real. Do not worry.

Finally, if you don't mind, could you please forward this
answer to ccpem to share it to others?

Best regards,

Takanori Nakane