Dear colleagues,

Mid-January I put out a call to canvas contents of your emergency equipment boxes. Many thanks to the dozens of people who got back to me; the response was far more positive than I expected. Many institutions wished me to circulate my findings so I put together a list of most commonly used emergency equipment for your information. Please see it below.

The major emergency equipment suppliers were Buck and Hickman, office suppliers, Preservation Equipment Ltd., Conservation By Design and local hardware suppliers.

Access to keys (location of master keys)

Action log

Action plan template

Aprons, Disposable plastic

Bags, Polythene, Sealable

Bags, Rubble

Batteries

Bin, Plastic with lid

Blankets

Blotting paper

Box, Stationery

Boxes

Bubble wrap

Buckets

Camera, disposable [evidence for insurance purposes]

Clipboard

Closure sign

Cloth, Absorbent

Contact details for hiring a water vacuum

Contacts, instructions and priority list

Copy of full emergency plan

Copy of insurance guidance

Crate, Stickers

Crates, Plastic

Cups, Plastic

Dehumidifier

Disinfectant

Disposable Respirator

Dust pan and brush

Extension lead

Fans (cold air)

First aid kit

Flannel

Floor plan of the library

Gloves, cotton

Gloves, rubber

Goggles

Hats, Hard

Headlamps

Hi Viz jackets

Hi-Vis Waistcoat

Instructions for turning off utilities

Keep out notices

Kitchen roll

Knife, Cutter

Label, Tie on

Labels, Adhesive

Latex, Gloves

List of internal contacts including mobile phones

Location of plastic crates

Location of sandbags

Location of trolleys

Major Incident Plan

Markers, Waterproof

Masks

Masks, Dust

Megaphone

Mops

Notebooks

Overalls

Pads, absorbing

Paper

Pencils

Pens

Protective Suit

Risk assessment plan checklist

Roll, Polythene

Rope

Rubbers

Sacks, Black plastic bin

Scissors

Sheets, Absorbent

Sheets, Plastic

Spill kit (PIG socks and pillows)

Sponges

Spotlight

Tags with Strings

Tags without Strings

Tape measure

Tape, Adhesive

Tape, Barrier

Tape, Cotton

Tape, Dispenser

Tape, Duct

Tape, Hazard

Tape, Hazard warning

Tape, Masking

Tape, Parcel

Toilet tissue

Torches

Torches, Head

Trolleys

Tyvek tags

Water spray, Hand-held

Wellington boots

Wet / dry vacuum cleaner

Wheeled dolly

Best wishes,

Greg

Greg Toth

Head of Collections

The Wiener Library for the Study of the Holocaust & Genocide

29 Russell Square, London WC1B 5DP

Tel: 020 76367247

www.wienerlibrary.co.uk