Dear colleagues, please see the AAA/CASCA CfP below.

—

CfP for the panel ‘Extractive Infrastructures’ at the American Association of Anthropologists/CASCA Annual Meeting, Vancouver B.C., Canada, 20-24 November, 2019

Extractive Infrastructures
How do infrastructural projects give material life to, and solidify, contemporary forms of extraction around human and non-human resources? What power relations do extractive infrastructures reinforce or interrupt? What state and governmental imaginaries do they rely on or evoke?

This panel interrogates the relationship between infrastructure and extraction, paying close attention to the infrastructural assemblages that make up extractive projects the biopolitical work of infrastructure. As anthropologists such as Anand, Appel, Larkin, and others have shown, to call something an infrastructure is a designation, not a reflection of objective fact. It identifies a causal relationship, even when there is an endless chain of social and material substrata that bring a given phenomenon into being. In light of this observation, we interrogate the stakes and consequences of extractive infrastructures. We ask: what ideologies, power relationships, and TK are reinforced or constrained by extractive infrastructures? Moreover, what are the stakes of identifying something as both an infrastructure and a resource?

In Seeing Like a State, James Scott established that the identification of something as a resource reflects a shift in perception—nature to natural resources, animals to livestock and vermin, etc.,— which, in turn, enables social engineering on a massive scale. In an era of economic and environmental precarity, how do we use these designations—infrastructure, resource—to make sense of international structures of governance, and to negotiate our relationship to the built and natural environments?

-	How can we think about the ruins and legacies of extractive industrial practices?
-	How might we integrate new sources of fuel and energy production into the global supply chain?
-	How is human capital governed via the management of labor and migration?
-	In what ways do the capabilities and limits of technology frame our approach to environmental protection?

We invite contributions that unpack these questions at the juncture of infrastructure and extraction to reconceptualize the management of human populations and the environment across multiple empirical settings.

To submit a paper proposal, please provide us with the following information by March 22nd: name, affiliation, contact information, title of paper, abstract (max. 250 words).

Panel organizers:
Dr. Julia Morris and Dr. Samantha Maurer Fox, The New School for Social Research
 <[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> <[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>>

Dr. Julia Morris
Post-doctoral Fellow, Zolberg Institute on Migration and Mobility, The New School

W: https://www.juliacmorris.com <http://www.juliacmorris.com/>

* A postgraduate project comprising online journal,    *
* online discussions, teaching and research resources  *
* and international contacts directory.               *
* To join this list or to look at the archived previous       *
* messages visit:                                             *
* https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/Anthropology-Matters   *
* If you have ALREADY subscribed: to send a message to all    *
* those currently subscribed to the list,just send mail to:   *
*       Enjoyed the mailing list? Why not join the new        *
*       CONTACTS SECTION @ www.anthropologymatters.com        *
*    an international directory of anthropology researchers *

To unsubscribe please click here:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=ANTHROPOLOGY-MATTERS&A=1