Mat, I have no idea about literature on this and I’d be as grateful also for any references your query may produce. However, it occurs to me to wonder whether otoliths might have a high specific gravity, like petrous temporal bones of horses, which also are sometimes found in concentrations without any other skull or skeletal elements being present. These are always interpreted as being due to stream winnowing with fallout of the dense elements as stream velocity drops and as terrain allows or encourages. Otoliths are rounder and smoother than petrosals and this might also alter their behavior in stream flow. Interesting question. Cheers – Deb Bennett

From: Analysis of animal remains from archaeological sites [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Matthew Campbell
Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2019 7:42 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ZOOARCH] Otoliths

Dear colleagues

Ngā Mihi o te Tau Hou / Happy New Year

Do any of you know anything about the taphonomy of otoliths? I have observed that they survive very well in some sites and not at all in others, but I can’t see any reason for this.

If anyone can shine any light on this topic or point me to any references I would be grateful (searches on Google Scholar and ResearchGate didn’t help)

Mat

****************************

Matthew Campbell
CFG Heritage Ltd
132 Symonds St
Auckland 1010

phone: (+64) 09 309 2426
mobile: (+64) 021 437 555
email: [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
web: www.cfgheritage.com

To unsubscribe from the ZOOARCH list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=ZOOARCH&A=1