Good day fellow promenaders,

My contribution is my PhD project
Suriashi-marche féminine,  a project where performance and urban society
are investigated
from within a Japanese practice called suriashi (which translates as
‘creeping/rubbing/sliding foot’).
It is based on my own extensive practicing and performing traditional
Japanese dance with Nishikawa Senrei,
and Japanese theatre with masters of Nō theatre. I take the role of a
female urban walker, an actor/observer,
a flâneuse walking in a female-to-male-to-female technique. In a second
step I investigate how this slow practice operates
when moved to outdoor, urban spaces
Suriashi involves the whole body and ideas of where spirits are placed. In
studio practice, dancers walk slowly forwards
 in suriashi, but we lean backwards, directing their inner concentration to
the appearance of movements from behind
while being fully present in the space - almost literally the scientific
view of time: a linear progression of past, present and future.

Cheers from Sweden!
Ami Skånberg Dahlstedt, Gothenburg