Dear Ying,

If there was a "better" (how ever you define this betterness) measure of the match between a pair of images, this measure should actually be employed to match the images instead of using a "less good one". :-)

Visual check just ensures that the realignment/coregistration did not completely go wrong. You can automatize this by generating CheckReg images and saving them in different pictures or create a movie of them all. This saves the hassle of manually clicking for each image. For the realignment what matters really is the volume-to-volume displacement, i.e. speed, so you could derive a (few) scalar(s) to summarize this over the whole time series. I am sure there are some tools out there already calculating this kind of measure.

HTH,

Chris