Dear Ying

I don’t know where you are based – but for an in-depth look at DCM, I can recommend the SPM course we hold in London https://www.fil.ion.ucl.ac.uk/spm/course/london/ . Videos of lectures from previous years can be found at https://www.fil.ion.ucl.ac.uk/spm/course/video/ .

The screens in the DCM review are as follows.

The first few screens show the effects of each of your experimental conditions (matrix B and matrix C of the DCM neural model) and the baseline or average connectivity over experimental conditions (matrix A of the DCM neural model). These are the estimated parameters and their probabilities of being larger than zero. Personally, I do not look at the graphical plots with the colourful circles – I don’t find them helpful. To read more about the DCM model and its parameters, take a look at:

https://doi.org/10.1016/S1053-8119(03)00202-7

https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2013.07.008

The ‘contrast of connections’ screen lets you test for a linear contrast of connection strengths. E.g. to test if the difference between connection i and another connection j is bigger than zero. To do this, you would enter 1 for connection i, -1 for connection j, and enter zero as your test statistic.

Location of regions, inputs and outputs should be self-explanatory.

Kernels displays estimated neuronal and haemodynamic impulse response functions – i.e. the response of each region to brief input. These will only be computed for regions receiving driving input (matrix C).

Best

Peter