Dear all

Please note that registration is open for our conference on Leadership, Authority and Representation in British Muslim Communities to be held at Cardiff University on 21st January 2019.  The conference fee is £30 (including a vegetarian lunch and refreshments) with a concessionary rate of £15 for imams, students and the unwaged.  The registration deadline is 5pm on Wednesday 9th January; we will not be accepting payment on the day so the only way to register attendance is through the online portal ahead of the deadline. http://sites.cardiff.ac.uk/islamukcentre/conference-on-leadership-authority-and-representation-in-british-muslim-communities/

We are also pleased to share the conference programme which, alongside a series of Pecha Kucha style presentations, includes panels titled ‘Training Muslim Leaders in the West’ and ‘Changing Loci of Authority in British Islam’.  Additionally, Professor Ataullah Siddiqui (Markfield Institute of Higher Education) and Shaukat Warraich (Faith Associates) will deliver keynote lectures and a discussion panel on ‘The Future Role of Imams in Britain’ will feature Dr Shuruq Naguib, Dr Atif Imtiaz, Mufti Dr Abdur Rahman Mangera, Dr Myriam François-Cerrah, Imam Qari Asim MBE and Rehanah Sadiq (chaired by Saleem Kidwai OBE, Secretary General of the Muslim Council of Wales).  We hope you can join us! The conference programme can be found here: http://sites.cardiff.ac.uk/islamukcentre/files/2018/12/FULL-CONFERENCE-PROGRAMME-21-01-19-ISLAM-UK-CENTRE-CARDIFF-1-.pdf

Lastly, may I draw your attention to our 2019 Public Seminar series which will kick off on 6th February with Dr Anabel Inge’s session titled: ‘The Making of a Salafi Muslim Woman: Paths to Conversion’. More information can be found here: http://sites.cardiff.ac.uk/islamukcentre/2019-public-seminar-series/

Best wishes / Dymuniadau gorau

Dr Riyaz Timol

Research Associate in British Muslim Studies

Centre for the Study of Islam in the UK

School of History, Archaeology and Religion

Cardiff University

John Percival Building (5.49B)

Colum Drive

CF10 3EU

SOCREL-PG is the Postgraduate e-mail list of the BSA Sociology of Religion Study Group. To join SOCREL-PG, send the following one-line message: join socrel-pg YOURFIRSTNAME YOURLASTNAME to: <[log in to unmask]> Send contributions to the list by sending messages to: [log in to unmask] To leave SOCREL-PG, send the following one-line message: leave socrel-pg YOURFIRSTNAME YOURLASTNAME to: <[log in to unmask]>