I agree with Kerry. The report seemed to be looking at the technology and systems that nurses have to use on a daily basis rather than on obtaining information and literature to use to underpin evidence-based practice.

I think that libraries are often still seen as physical collections and that maybe we all need to focus more on becoming embedded within teams and departments rather than expecting our users to come to us. That’s probably the only way we can change their perception. As it says in Knowledge for Healthcare 7.A Proactive customer-focused services ‘Ensure services are available at the point of need’.

Libraries provide electronic access to a wide variety of information sources but maybe it’s the outdated and limited (often for security reasons) IT and inconsistency of access that are the major issue for our users. Unfortunately, many of these things are beyond our control – upgrades to systems like OpenAthens which mean we spend days unable to log in; publishers’ insistence on making everything compatible with the latest browsers and operating systems, when the NHS is lagging sadly behind; a lack of seamless access to full text items; the dumbing down of search engines (eg Science Direct) meaning that results are too unfocused to be of value, and so on.

Some of these things are slowly being addressed. Why don’t we have a pressure group to try to get electronic books and journals zero rated for VAT? That could save the NHS a fortune.

Best Wishes

Tricia Rey
Library Services Manager
Queen Victoria Hospital