Thank you to the 10 ILLs Services that replied to me in response to my email, below.

In summary:

8 libraries forward the article in .pdf format (along with a copyright disclaimer/reminder of the copyright declaration they have already signed) unless the supplying library has specifically requested them not to forward the article in electronic format.

2 libraries use OCLC ArticleExchange to send a link and password to the user rather than send the article in electronic format.

Interestingly, one University’s Legal Team told the ILLs Service that they must include a disclaimer with the .pdf stating that the receiving library must print out the article rather than forward it to the requester, however another ILLs Service looked into the copyright documentation and there was nothing to say specifically that a document could not be supplied in electronic format.

So from this small sample it seems that some libraries are taking a more cautious approach, however the majority have decided that including a copyright disclaimer is sufficient protection.

Further discussion (Alison at UEA has suggested that FIL would be appropriate) would be useful to clarify best practice, particularly as saving staff time (and paper!) are also key issues: several libraries mentioned that a significant number of students tend not to collect print outs so a lot of time and effort is being wasted.

I hope this is helpful and please do send any further comments to me: I am happy to collate the responses and provide an update at the end of January if any new information comes to light.

Kind regards,

Carol

Carol Barker

Senior Assistant Librarian: Bibliographic Services

Archives and Resource Management

Library and Learning Services

DE MONTFORT UNIVERSITY

Leicester LE1 9BH