Many thanks all for some interesting ideas around measuring the usage and impact of Open Access resources.

We have had some thoughts around using EZproxy to identity DOIs for a specific resource where available, and then pasting the DOIs into the Unpaywall “simple query tool” @ http://unpaywall.org/products/simple-query-tool. This tool returns an email containing a spreadsheet which tells you which article is OA. We can then calculate an approx. percentage of requests from specific resources which are available as OA. (The main problem is in identifying the DOIs of requested articles) when not available easily in Ezproxy.)

Kind regards

David

From: Dominic Benson <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 14 January 2019 16:05
To: An informal open list set up by UKSG - Connecting the Information Community <[log in to unmask]>; David Peacock <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: Factoring in Open Access into Library resource decision making?

Hi David

I deduct JR1 GOA and JR1a from the JR1 total when calculating the cost per download (where relevant and available). It’s just one of the parameters under consideration when making renewal decisions (29 publishers so far, I’d like more). On the other hand, I’m not confident we could identify and evaluate all our users’ usage of freely accessible items, beyond the JR1 GOA data.

I track how many open access results Summon has available on our instance, almost 30 million (ca. 16%) of which about a third of which are “peer-reviewed” articles (ca. 4.9%). Is that useful?

Kind regards,

Dom Benson

Analytics & Discovery Officer, Library, Information Services

Brunel University London | T +44(0)1895 266143