Dear all,

We are delighted to announce the programme for the next Venetian Seminar, which will take place on Saturday 11 May 2019 at Oxford Brookes. We are very grateful to Ioanna Iordanou and Jane Stevens Crawshaw for hosting us in Oxford.

We will hear papers from Oren Margolis, Marie-Louise Lillywhite, Jane Stevens Crawshaw, Solène Rivoal, Tamsin Prideaux, and Ioanna Iordanou. For a complete programme and further details, including travel information, see below. As always, we plan to go for drinks and dinner at the end of the day.

There is no registration charge for the Seminar, but numbers are limited due to the size of the venue. If you plan to attend, please email Alex Bamji at[log in to unmask] to reserve your space. Feel free to pass on details of the Seminar to anyone to whom it may be of interest.

With best wishes,

Alex Bamji, Filippo de Vivo and Mary Laven

VENETIAN SEMINAR

Green Room, Headington Hill Hall

Oxford Brookes University

10.30               Coffee

11-12.30          Oren Margolis (Villa I Tatti/Harvard): The Venetian Myth of Aldus Manutius

                        Marie-Louise Lillywhite (Middlebury College): Reforming Art in Renaissance Venice: The Censor and Censorship

Discussion

Chair:   Louise Bourdua (Warwick)

12.30               Lunch break

1.30-3.00         Jane Stevens Crawshaw (Oxford Brookes): Weeping trees and self-sacrificing fish: health, environments and miracles in early modern Venice and Chios

                        Solène Rivoal (Aix-Marseille): Fish and the city: Venice’s seafood market in the eighteenth century

Discussion

Chair:   Paul Davies (Reading)

3.00                 Tea

3.30-5.00         Tamsin Prideaux (Edinburgh): Social networks and family ties in immigrant mercantile communities in Venice, 1550-1700

Ioanna Iordanou (Oxford Brookes): Venice’s Secret Service: Intelligence organization in the Renaissance

Discussion

Chair:   Thomas Goodwin (Oxford)

The Venetian Seminar is a peripatetic one-day workshop with a long tradition of participation by scholars of history, art history, literature and linguistics who study Venice and Italy.  It is convened on a yearly basis by Alex Bamji (Leeds), Filippo de Vivo (Birkbeck), and Mary Laven (Cambridge).  The Seminar brings together established scholars, early career researchers, and postgraduate students in a format designed to promote awareness of the latest research in the field, and to maximise discussion. Warm thanks to Ioanna Iordanou and Jane Stevens Crawshaw for hosting this year’s seminar. We are very grateful for the generous support of the School of History, Philosophy and Culture and Oxford Brookes Business School.

There is no registration fee, but numbers are limited due to the size of the venue. Please email [log in to unmask] to reserve a space.

Travel and accommodation

Headington Hill Hall is located at Oxford Brookes’ Headington Campus. For travel information, maps and directions, see:

https://www.brookes.ac.uk/about-brookes/contacts-maps-and-campuses/headington-campus/

If you are travelling by car, it is possible to use the Headington Hill car park which is just in front of the Hall. You can pay with cash or card. The charges are set out here:

https://www.brookes.ac.uk/travel/parking/new-parking-policy-faqs/#5

For accommodation in Oxford city centre, options include:

https://www.universityrooms.com/en-GB/city/oxford/home

********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: subscribe italian-studies YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: unsubscribe italian-studies to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/italian-studies