Dear Silvio,
I have never met so severe Na loss during analysis.
However I would recommend to use EDS for Na estimate in such a case - if
you have a detector with large area (50 mm2 or more), you should be able to
get data with reasonable standard deviation after relatively short
acquisition time and probe current as low as 1 nA or less. Together with
use of a defocussed beam, I would expect the Na loss negligible...
Best regards
Martin

st 30. 1. 2019 v 12:44 odesílatel Silvio Ferrero <
[log in to unmask]> napsal:

> Dear All,
>
> We are experiencing almost complete alkali loss during microprobe
> analyses of andesitic glasses with narrow beam (diameter around 1
> micron), at 9 nA and 15 kV. The glass under investigation is hydrous
> (around 5 wt% H2O), and based on other data we were expecting 1-2 wt%
> Na2O. Our analyses show instead a remarkably constant amount of 0.05-0.1
> wt% Na2O over 20 analyses. Analyses on granitic standards during exactly
> the same session show a very limited loss for Na (around 20% relative),
> and in both cases the Na is only measured for 6 seconds. Few analyses
> were conducted with diameter of 3-4 microns, and still the Na was in the
> same range of values. Larger beams cannot be used because we are
> analyzing small melt inclusions in garnet.
>
> I´m fully aware of the alkali loss problem in alkali-rich glasses, but I
> never experienced a almost complete (around 90% relative I would say)
> loss of Na in any previous case study. Anyone has experienced such a
> problem analyzing hydrous andesitic glasses with very narrow beams?
>
> Any insights, suggestion or comment is welcome!
>
> Silvio
>
> --
> Silvio Ferrero
> tel. 0049(0)3319775705
> Universität Potsdam
> Institut für Erd- und Umweltwissenschaften
> - Dept. of Earth and Environmental Sciences -
> Haus 27, Karl-Liebknecht-Straße 24-25
> 14476 Potsdam
>
> "In those early days people laughed at me. They quoted Saussure who had
> said that it was not a proper thing to examine mountains with microscopes,
> and ridiculed my action in every way. Most luckily I took no notice of
> them"
> (Henry Clifton Sorby)
>
> To many petrologists a volatile component is  exactly like a Maxwell
> daemon; it does just what one may wish it to do.
> (The evolution of the igneous rocks, N.L. Bowen, 1928)

Mgr. Martin Racek, Ph.D.
Tel.: +420 221 95 1437
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Ústav petrologie a strukturní geologie
Univerzita Karlova v Praze
Přírodovědecká fakulta
Albertov 6, 128 43 Praha 2
www.natur.cuni.cz

Institute of Petrology and Structural Geology
Charles University in Prague
Faculty of Science
Albertov 6, 128 43 Praha 2
www.natur.cuni.cz/en