Hi Silvio,

I am guessing that the granitic glasses you were referring to may not have been hydrous or perhaps they had much lower H2O contents than your andesitic sample. Na counting losses correlate positively with Na abundance and with H2O content of the glass.

I assume you are using EDS. You can virtually eliminate the problem if you:

lower the beam voltage (10 kV?)
move the nose piece of the detector closer to the sample to get more counts and shorten the time for analysis
most critically, use a cooling stage to lower the sample temperature to that of liquid N2.

I have tested an albite-composition glass with 9 wt% H2O in it under these conditions and easily got stoichiometrically perfect Ab analyses out of it.

So, you may have to invest in the freezing stage if you want to continue using a finely focused beam. There really is very little choice about that.

I don’t know who might make these things, but people do have them. Manchester and Stellenbosch both have (or had) such facilities, for example.

Prof. John D. Clemens
Dept of Earth Sciences
University of Stellenbosch
+27 (0)21 808 3159