Hi Sourena,

You can, but then you need to use multi-level exchangeability blocks (as describe in the HCP permutation paper: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2015.05.092

It can't be done with simple EBs. In Figure 1, that is the "notation using a single column".

All the best,

Anderson

On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 at 10:46, Sourena Soheili <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi Anderson,

Thanks for your helpful clarification. I have one follow up question: Considering that I have many exchangeability blocks of different sizes (i.e. family structures), but many of these EBs are of the same size, is it not possible to do both within block and whole-block permutations among those families with similar sizes? I get the below error when I try both -within and -whole arguments:

Not all sub-blocks within an EB are of the same size at level 1.

All the best,
Sourena