Spin echo sequences eliminate the signal dropout present in gradient echo images that will confuse the topup registration algorithm.  I suppose you could give it a try with your current data if you have no other way of doing distortion correction, but spin echo is the recommended approach.

Matt.

From: Erin Walsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 1:55 PM
To: FSL - FMRIB's Software Library <[log in to unmask]>, Matt Glasser <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: topup and motion correction

Hi Matt,

Thank you for the reply! I ran this by our physicist. Would you be able to comment on why spin echo is preferred and not gradient echo for Topup/ApplyTopup with our data? As noted, we acquired two series of images with opposite phase encoding directions (A>P, P>A); these were identical other than the phase encoding. Both were gradient echo.

Thank you for your time and input,
Erin