From: Group concerned that academia should seek and promote wisdom <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Lucy Weir
Sent: 23 January 2019 12:49
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Crisis

Hi Leland,

Yes, I read your posts. I recall you setting up the site. I suppose it's less about what I need, and more about what we need to do to create a collaboration here.

Let's keep working on it and when I can, I'll have another look.

It seems to me that lots of us have worked very hard to promote something similar to the agenda Nick's been promoting, in the sense of looking for ways to reenvision academic pursuits or perhaps more broadly, in my case (and perhaps in Ronnie's) to highlight the need for us to see ourselves as part of a wider context, the ecological (and even more broadly, the physical systems) context within which we have evolved and which creates and sustains us (and will destroy us). Let's agree to acknowledge and respect all our efforts, which are similar enough to merit a common platform, even if we are bound to have different specific foci and perhaps even different loci for values. Jonathan Haidt's book, Righteous Minds, is excellent as a toolkit for understanding our intuitive key values, and finding ways to step back and look for areas of collaboration, regardless of whether our initial push is egalitarianism, fairness, loyalty, or any of the other particular remits on which we base our particular view of what makes something good, or right.

Thanks, all. It would be wonderful if we could get something going from this.

Best thoughts,

Lucy