Hi all

Just a thought, the largest adult education provider in England(75K+ students) and a significant contributor to ESOl is the WEA and they are a very well established charity operating at the heart of communities.

Very best wishes Jo

From: ESOL-Research discussion forum and message board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kamila J S
Sent: 28 January 2019 10:24
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: ESOL provision in the "third sector"

Hi

Agree with the Helen's comment.

I have experience working in both, third sector and college. I thoroughly enjoyed working in the third sector though. It really made me realise and come closer to understanding what ESOL Learners' lives might be like as you are immersed in and work closely in and with the community.

I worked with very experienced and creative individuals with experience in drama, forum theatre and other who brought a breath of fresh air into teaching. We were not so much restricted, our curriculum included community engagement activities, so a lot of going out and practicing language e.g. Buying a ticket at a local train station or pharmacy. For the students it was convenient and local too. It was engaging and for some cheaper or free. It offered a range of activities out of the curriculum too as the charity I worked for worked closely in partnership with local organisations. Thanks to that our students developed a movie together, created a photography album of their local communities,performed in Guildhall School of Music, amongst other things.

Now, I work in a college, and with amazing teachers too, experienced in their field, many in the same job for years. It offers more security for learners and teachers in terms of employment and course availability . With a charity you never know where you are going to be next year, as so much depends on funding. Now, I feel like I only teach, nothing wrong with that, but in and out of the classroom and that is it. With so many cuts to colleges' funding it is a struggle here too.

Hope this helps

Joanna

Get Outlook for Android