Phew!

Stephen

On 22 Jan 2019, at 17:10, Richard Coates <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Yes, OK.

Richard

From: The English Place-Name List <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Stephen Dougherty
Sent: 22 January 2019 16:58
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [EPNL] London/Londinium

Thank you Richard

That was very helpful.

If I understand you correctly, to borrow your Latin parallel, *donjos started out as a second declension noun with the nominative plural - *donjoi but then, as the vowel inflections dropped away leading to a lack of distinction between singular and plural, it adopted a third declension plural form *donjones, the last syllable of which would probably not have been lost, at least, until the early sixth century?

It follows from this that if, which is uncertain, the third declension form was in use in the mid first century AD or earlier (and overlooking for now the question of the thematic vowel on the first element), the name would have been Lon(g)doniones, not Lon(g)donion.

Latin -ium endings generally corresponded to Greek neuter -ion endings and did not systematically correspond in a similar way with Celtic languages and since no -ion ending was possible in this instance, the Romans would not have attached a corresponding -ium ending. Therefore, Lon(g)donion and thereby Londinium cannot be derived from any compound with *donion as the second element? My solution is thus philologically impossible.

Is that a reasonable summary?

Stephen