Saturday, 26 January 2019 (Room 243, Senate House)

Theories and Methodologies for Languages Research

12.00   Enlightenment Critique (Adam Sharman, Nottingham)

This session covers the historical-philosophical critique that one finds in the different Enlightenments, including the Latin American one (and the one that has Latin America as its object) and also the critique of Enlightenment that one finds in our own times

13.00   Lunch break

14.30   Gender Studies (Catherine Smale, KCL)

This session will introduce students to different strands of Gender Studies, and allow students the opportunity to explore ways in which Gender Studies theory and methodology may productively inform their own research projects

15.30   Tea break

16.00   Trans-nationalizing Modern Languages (Naomi Wells, IMLR)

The AHRC-funded Transnationalizing Modern Languages project developed a new model for Modern Languages research which moves beyond the inquiry into separate national traditions, to focus instead on how languages and cultures operate and interact across distinct historical and geographic contexts. As a former researcher on the project, I will explore what a ‘transnational’ approach to Modern Languages research means in practice, by drawing on examples from my own research and discussing with workshop participants how a transnational lens could be applied to their own work.

With all best wishes.

Katia Pizzi

Senior Lecturer, Italian Studies

Director, Centre for the Study of Cultural Memory

INSTITUTE OF MODERN LANGUAGES RESEARCH
School of Advanced Study • University of London

Senate House

Malet Street, London WC1E 7HU

International Conference Memories of the Future, 29-30 March 2019.

Registration: https://modernlanguages.sas.ac.uk/events/event/17680

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/memoriesfutur/

To unsubscribe from the CULTURAL-MEMORY list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=CULTURAL-MEMORY&A=1