*Apologies for cross-posting*

Extended deadline on CFP - still room for 1 or 2 further contributions on
creative geographic practices - please note, 'creative' is not being
defined prescriptively and includes both visual and non-visual media.

*EUGEO/CIG Call for Papers: 15-18 May 2019, NUI Galway, Ireland*

*Session title*: Creative Geographic Practices in Contemporary Ireland

*Convenors*: Maedhbh Nic Lochlainn, Trinity College Dublin & Eoin O'Mahony,
University College Dublin.

*Submission email*: [log in to unmask]

Geography-art relations have had significant and long-term impacts on the
ways in which geographers try to know the world (Hawkins, 2013). Although
this emphasis on the visual is not unique to geography, with some arguing
that there has been a wider interdisciplinary ‘pictorial turn’ (Mitchell,
1992), it is now accepted that geography is a discipline profoundly
infuelcned by the creative (Rose, 2003; Thornes, 2004). Our maps,
visualisations, and photographic efforts adorn academic papers, exhibition
spaces and other public engagements. Our creative 'doings' as geographers
and the geographies being produced by creative practitioners include
theatre, music, dance, poetry, and more (Hawkins, 2018). This session
interprets the diversity of methods currently reflected in geographical
practice as part of an existing disciplinary creativity which should be
highlighted in its many forms. Geographers and their practices are creative
in ways that are frequently downplayed, particularly when our visual
methods and creativity are not the specific focus of the research. This is
sometimes more significant when external funding criteria drive a project
and impact is measured only through quantitative metrics.

In drawing attention to the creative geographies in contemporary Ireland,
this session invites contributions that will showcase both the diversity
and creativity of geography as practised in Ireland and elsewhere. This
session aims to explore creative geographic methods, pedagogies, and
research practices across Ireland and among Irish geographers across
Europe. We encourage voices discussing geography inside and outside the
university, as well as bringing to light the use of alternative ways of
discussing, seeing, and practising geography. We seek contributions from
academics, artists, community organisers, practitioners, activists, and
researchers. We encourage postgraduate and early-career researchers
experimenting with creative methods to consider this call. Building on our
conference session, we aim to collate contributions building toward a
publication on creative geographic practice in Ireland.

*Submission details:*

Interested participants should send an abstract by Monday February 11th
2019 to the session conveners (c/o [log in to unmask]). We welcome the
contribution of creative ‘artefacts’ but please include a title, some form
of textual abstract (250 words max), author name, any institutional
affiliation, and contact information.

Further information about the 2019 EUGEO Congress that is held in
conjunction with the Conference of Irish Geographers can be found at
https://www.eugeo2019.eu/

Please get in touch if you have any questions. We look forward to hearing
from you,

Maedhbh and Eoin.