**Call for Papers for RGS-IBG Annual Conference, London, 28-30 August 2019**

Postgraduate Snapshots of Trouble and Hope

Sponsored by the Social and Cultural Geography Research Group (SCGRG)
Session organisers: Amy Walker (Cardiff University) and William Jamieson (RHUL)

We live in troubling times, and in troubled places. Indeed, politically, economically and ecologically, trouble has acquired an inconceivable planetary dimension, cumulating with significant social and cultural transformation. When we situate these troubling times in spaces and places, they open up possibilities of rupture, alterity, and hope. If ‘staying with the trouble requires learning to be truly present’ (Haraway 2016: 1), how can we as geographers make our concepts and theories ‘present’ to the trouble at hand? This session intends to explore ways in which Postgraduate Social and Cultural Geographers are ‘staying with the trouble’ to uncover these spaces of hope, possibility, and rupture, which lie embedded within existing social orders and cultural practices. Presenters are encouraged to explore how we can think through and withgeographies of trouble and hope, and how we can make this dialectic present to surpass the impasse of our troubling times.

Each presentation will be centred around a single 'Snapshot' (whether an image, artefact, quotation, soundbite, field diary entry, or mini-video clip) which will form the focal point for 8-10 minute contributions. The Snapshot is intended to be either a literal or metaphorical prompt through which the topic of the presentation can be represented. As such it is envisaged that the snapshot will be the main artefact around which each contribution is orientated. We thus encourage participants to think critically about and fully utilise the trajectories, tensions, and textures of their snapshots as a means of enlivening understandings of their chosen topic.

Please email prospective contributions or any queries to Will Jamieson ([log in to unmask]) and Amy Walker ([log in to unmask]).

The deadline for submission is Friday 8th February 2018 17:00 GMT. Please include:
• A title for your ‘Snapshot’
• An abstract (max 200 words)
• A short description of your snapshot and how it will be used (max 150 words)
• Your name, affiliation and contact details (email address)
• Year of research (masters, PhD 1,2, 3, 3+)

We look forward to seeing your abstracts.

Best wishes,
Will and Amy