***NEW DEGREE PROGRAMME***

BA ARCHAEOLOGY OF THE HISTORIC WORLD

The Department of Archaeology, Durham University (UK) , is delighted to announce the launch of its new BA Archaeology of the Historic World, which is now accepting students for entry in autumn 2019 . This is a wide ranging archaeology course that harnesses student passions for history through researching historic sites, material culture and museums. The programme emphasises interdisciplinary learning and skills. Students have the option to study the material remains of the ancient, medieval and modern worlds, with an emphasis on the last 600 years. They can take modules in History, Classics, Ancient History and other related subjects in departments across Durham University. Key themes include the archaeology of industrialisation, conflict archaeology, colonialisation, transatlantic connections and south-east Asian trade.

The Department of Archaeology at Durham is a world leader in the study of the archaeology of the medieval and post-medieval world. It’s recent work on the burial of the 17th century “Scottish Soldiers” has received widespread publicity both sides of the Atlantic. Other important work includes excavations within the Forbidden City, Beijing (China) and at Auckland Castle, the medieval home of the Prince-Bishops of Durham. Our projects are also exploring the archaeology of the 1930s Great Depression in NE England, the landscapes of medieval Spain, the material culture of South and East Asia, and the bioarchaeology health and well-being in post-medieval and industrial communities.

The Department is home to world-leading facilities ranging from DNA laboratories to state-of-the-art facilities for geoarchaeology and isotopic analysis. It holds major teaching collections and has access to Durham’s Oriental Museum, one of the UKs major collections of Asian art. We also operate an extensive commercial infrastructure and have a network of heritage-sector collaborators to match. Our staff are passionate about sharing their expertise with our students, and for the benefit of wider society.

Archaeology has been taught and studied at Durham University since 1931, which makes our staff and students part of a long tradition of learning. We count ourselves fortunate to be surrounded by incredible examples of medieval architecture, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and positioned close to some of the country’s premier archaeological sites, such as Hadrian’s Wall and the Saxon monastery at Jarrow. Throughout the years, the department has grown to become what it is today: one of the largest departments in the world and the national leader for archaeological research. we are regularly ranked one of the top two Archaeology departments in the UK (e.g. Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014,Complete University Guide 2018) and one of the top five globally (World University QS rankings 2018).

Admissions criteria: Our standard offer is AAB (A levels) and 36 (IB) although we can be flexible for the right candidate. Contact us for information about admissions criteria for international students.

For information about the structure of the BA Archaeology of the Historic World visit the course website: https://www.dur.ac.uk/archaeology/undergraduate/undergrad_courses/ba-histarch/

For more information about the Department of Archaeology: www.durham.ac.uk/archaeology

Twitter @ARCDurham

Facebook @ArchaeologyDurham

For further information please contact Dr David Petts ([log in to unmask])

-------------------------- contemp-hist-arch is a list for news and events in contemporary and historical archaeology, and for announcements relating to the CHAT conference group. ------- For email subscription options see: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/archives/contemp-hist-arch.html ------- Visit the CHAT website for more information and for future meeting dates: http://www.contemp-hist-arch.ac.uk --------------------------