Hello,

Forgive me, the previous version was missing the date and location of the
conference. Please circulate this edited version instead. Many thanks!

*Identity in Times of Change*

*7.6.2019, University of Manchester, UK*

This conference calls for papers on the subject “identity in times of
change”. The crisis of 2008 has unleashed a wave of social changes over the
last decade, as well as exacerbating existing problems. The economic crash
precipitated a wave of social crises, protest movements and political
instability. The ephemeral hope of the Arab Spring in the Middle East
turned to sectarianism and unforeseen wars. The rise of refugee mobility
has engendered new political discourse. The last ten years have seen the
impact of austerity and displacement; Occupy, Yellow Vests and Me Too; the
rise of populism and the decline of neoliberal economics. Alongside this,
escalating climate change and ominous predictions of future disaster have
created a sense of constant crisis.

Amid the chaos, we are interested in how these macro level phenomena have
impacted on the way people see themselves and each other. We want to take
this opportunity to understand how identities are shaped, negotiated and
perceived within new social realities. We also want to explore how new
identities and identity claims can be used to create new social realities,
or alter existing social relations.

We would like this conference to be an opportunity to share methodological
approaches to identity research, and consider new ways forward. Both
theoretical work on identity and empirical case studies are welcomed and
encouraged.

This conference invites papers, but in no way limited, focusing on the
following thematic areas:

●         Queer rights/identities

●         Methodological considerations in identity research

●         Diasporic identities

●         Post-immigration crisis

●         National or nationalist identities

●         Activist identities

●         Intersectional identities

*Confirmed key-note speaker:* Dr. Teije Donker, Department of Sociology,
University of Cambridge.

*Important deadlines and other information:*

●Submission of abstracts: abstracts of up to 250 words and a brief
biographical note should be sent by 17th March, 2019 to:

●    Acceptance notification will be announced by 20th March 2019.

●    Attendance to the conference is free.

●    Lunch will be provided.

Neta Yodovich
PhD Candidate in Sociology
University of Manchester

Yodovich, N. (2016). “A Little Costumed Girl at a Sci-Fi Convention”:
Boundary Work as a Main Destigmatization Strategy Among Women Fans. *Women's
Studies in Communication*, *39*(3), 289-307.
<https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/07491409.2016.1193781>

Yodovich, N., & Lahad, K. (2017). ‘I don’t think this woman had anyone in
her life’: Loneliness and singlehood in Six Feet Under. *European Journal
of Women's Studies*, 1350506817702411.
<http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1350506817702411>

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 6:20 PM Neta Yodovich <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> ●  Acceptance notification will be announced by 20th March 2019.
>
> ●  Our wbsite: https://identitymcr2019.wordpress.com/
> <https://outlook.manchester.ac.uk/owa/redir.aspx?C=TpN5_zXKrxAFpZpNRGidxkUG6dzc3LRlqKzNOCH0FeLYwXL-S3rWCA..&URL=https%3a%2f%2fidentitymcr2019.wordpress.com%2f>
>
> ●  Attendance to the conference is free.
>
> ●  Lunch will be provided.
>

> Neta Yodovich
> PhD Candidate in Sociology
> University of Manchester
>
> Yodovich, N. (2016). “A Little Costumed Girl at a Sci-Fi Convention”:
> Boundary Work as a Main Destigmatization Strategy Among Women Fans. *Women's
> Studies in Communication*, *39*(3), 289-307.
> <https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/07491409.2016.1193781>
>
> Yodovich, N., & Lahad, K. (2017). ‘I don’t think this woman had anyone in
> her life’: Loneliness and singlehood in Six Feet Under. *European Journal

The BSA Gender Study Group mailing list is for the exchange of ideas and information related to any aspect of Gender Studies and scholarship. We do not undertake editorial control of postings; viewpoints and information posted to the list do not necessarily represent the views of the convenors or association. We encourage respectful communication on the list and ask that questions related to specific postings be directed to the appropriate party.