The 2019 British Records Association conference will be held in London on Thursday 25 April.

Following a successful conference on the records of shops and shopping in 2017 we will be turning our attention to the suburbs.

Our confirmed speakers include Joanna Smith of Historic England who will set the scene with an overview of the project on suburbs initiated by English Heritage in 2012 and now nearing completion, Sally Bevan of London Metropolitan Archives who will focus on the creation and growth of Hampstead Garden Suburb, and Jim Ranahan of the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust who will speak about the Suburban Birmingham Research Project and the development of civic amenities within suburban developments.

We are planning to include a panel session within the programme which will allow archivists (and / or enthusiasts!) 5-10 minutes to showcase a collection which documents the history of a particular suburb. If you would be interested in contributing to this session, I would be delighted to hear from you.

The British Records Association is a charity which aims to promote the preservation, understanding, accessibility and study of our recorded heritage for the public benefit. It is open to anyone interested in records and archives whether local historians, academics, professional archivists, or custodians and owners of collections - or simply those who are curious about the record of our past. You can find out more at: www.britishrecordsassociation.org.uk

Best wishes
Victoria Northwood
Hon Secretary
British Records Association