Dear colleagues and friends

I would like to draw your attention to a call for papers for a panel at the IUAES Congress in Poznan/Poland this year (27-31 August) that I co-organize with Ursula Probst and Megan Schmidt-Sane. The panel's title is: "Solidarity with whom? Processes of defining solidarity with sexworkers".

Here is a link to the list of panels (our panel can be found under letter "s" on the list)

https://www.iuaes2019.org/open-panels/

And here is a link to submission guidelines:
https://www.iuaes2019.org/paper-guidelines/?fbclid=IwAR35SmmL1AMUmBkY32oj6j0IP-nbJHKeev04ebCu34R9aneV0Sz5MABjHcg

?We will be very happy to host papers from different regions of the World and representing variety of perspectives on the panel's topic.

Here is the description of the panel:
 ?
Solidarity with whom? Processes of defining solidarity with sex workers

In this panel we will discuss ethnographically informed contributions that demonstrate how the needs of and care for sex workers are negotiated in interactions between sex workers, activists, institutions, and other actors, and how these interactions might be translated into political action.

"How can one be in solidarity with sex workers?" - is a question repeatedly asked in discussions of sex work, as common public portrayals of sex workers as either helpless victims of unspeakable crimes or independent workers put in danger by discriminatory legislation plus social stigmatization make it difficult to find common grounds for solidarity with sex workers. Further, these lived realities are more multifaceted than the publicly available melodramatic (Vance, 2012) images of sex work.

To answer this question, we want to take a step back and use this panel to discuss how, when, and where the need for solidarity with or care for sex workers is evoked and why. We invite ethnographically informed contributions that show how the (supposed) needs of sex workers are negotiated in everyday interactions between sex workers, activists, institutions, support services, and other actors, and how these interactions might be translated into political action. We will focus on interactions that inform a broader discussion on the legal and policy context of sex work, rather than sex work and service provision. We also want to discuss who gets included in or excluded from these conversations and how legal and practical frameworks on different scales shape the opportunities of sex workers to voice their own needs and to be heard. Acknowledging the role of academia in these discussions we also invite papers that critically reflect on the role and impact of sex work research and the potentials of creating solidarities between researchers and sex workers.

with best wishes
Pawel

[X]
[X]
Dr. Pawel Lewicki

wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter

Lehrstuhl für Vergleichende Mitteleuropastudien

Europa-Universität Viadrina

Collegium Polonicum

Ul. Kosciuszki 1

PL-69-100 Slubice

Raum CP: 136

Postanschrift:

Große Scharrnstraße 59

15230 Frankfurt (Oder)

Tel.: +49 (0)335 5534 6822

www.kuwi.europa-uni.de/de/lehstuhl/vs/mitteleuropa/Team/Wi_Mi_2016/index.html<http://www.europa-uni.de/>

* A postgraduate project comprising online journal,    *
* online discussions, teaching and research resources  *
* and international contacts directory.               *
* To join this list or to look at the archived previous       *
* messages visit:                                             *
* https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/Anthropology-Matters   *
* If you have ALREADY subscribed: to send a message to all    *
* those currently subscribed to the list,just send mail to:   *
*       Enjoyed the mailing list? Why not join the new        *
*       CONTACTS SECTION @ www.anthropologymatters.com        *
*    an international directory of anthropology researchers *

To unsubscribe please click here:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=ANTHROPOLOGY-MATTERS&A=1