Dear all,

Please consider submitting an abstract for our workshop on “Later-life negotiations: experiencing older age within and across borders”, to be held at the German Anthropological Association Conference 2019 at the University of Konstanz between 29 September - 2 October 2019.

The deadline for abstracts is 15 February. For more info on the conference, please see the link below. Our workshop is number 40 (with corrected email addresses here).

https://www.dgska.de/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/CfP.pdf

Best wishes,

Megha Amrith, Victoria Kumala Sakti, and Dora Sampaio (Max Planck Institute for the Study of Religious and Ethnic Diversity)

***CALL FOR PAPERS***

Later-Life Negotiations: Experiencing Older Age Within and Across Borders

In recent years, there has been growing interest in anthropology to further understand the interconnections of two key phenomena of the twenty-first century: ageing populations and global migration. Relevant contributions include the recognition that older populations are not merely passive, but are also increasingly active players within their own personal and familial migration projects. Taking an agency-led approach, but also attentive to the vulnerability that some older populations face, we wish to unpack the social, cultural, political, and economic contexts in which social negotiations in later-life take place. We are particularly intrigued by the negotiable, but also non-negotiable dimensions of ageing and later-life, and its various scales of action – from the ageing body to the geographical and cultural nuances of growing older, as well as the realities of hardened state borders.

In this workshop, we welcome papers exploring the active embeddedness of older populations in transnational networks, how they engage with new forms of sociality, activism and politics, how they embody, negotiate, and experience the ageing process, and older people’s integral role in the various expressions of familial care practices. We invite papers from a variety of disciplinary backgrounds, with diverse geographical dimensions, and creative methodologies.
Please send an abstract of max. 1.200 characters (incl. spaces) and also a short version of max. 300 characters (incl. spaces) directly to the workshop organizers:

[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>; [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>; [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Deadline: February 15, 2019

[Image result for mmg mpi]

Dr Victoria K. Sakti
Postdoctoral Researcher
Research Group ‘Ageing in a Time of Mobility<http://www.mmg.mpg.de/departments/max-planck-research-group-ageing-in-a-time-of-mobility/>‘
Max-Planck-Institute for the Study of Religious and Ethnic Diversity / Max-Planck-Institut zur Erforschung multireligiöser und multiethnischer Gesellschaften
Hermann-Föge-Weg 11, 37073 Göttingen.

* A postgraduate project comprising online journal,    *
* online discussions, teaching and research resources  *
* and international contacts directory.               *
* To join this list or to look at the archived previous       *
* messages visit:                                             *
* https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/Anthropology-Matters   *
* If you have ALREADY subscribed: to send a message to all    *
* those currently subscribed to the list,just send mail to:   *
*       Enjoyed the mailing list? Why not join the new        *
*       CONTACTS SECTION @ www.anthropologymatters.com        *
*    an international directory of anthropology researchers *

To unsubscribe please click here:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=ANTHROPOLOGY-MATTERS&A=1