PS CVMFS is not good for small scale groups or groups that don't have an established code. We should discuss containers.

On 05/12/2018 14:11, Alessandra Forti wrote:
[log in to unmask]"> Hi Alastair,

On 05/12/2018 13:07, Alastair Dewhurst wrote:
[log in to unmask]"> Hi All

Sorry for the late reminder but I was waiting for Dave B email (To Grid or not to Grid?) to be sent round.

We will have another technical meeting on Friday 7th December on “Onboarding new communities”.  This will be in two parts:
1) I will start with a description of the plans for the Tier-1 to provide direct batch system access for (some) new communities.  The intention is that this would introduce them to some of the aspects of the Grid (e.g. CVMFS) but still keep it easily accessible.  If the requirements of the VO grow then we would move them towards using the GridPP DIRAC instance.  The Tier-1 is obviously not the only site that can onboard new communities and often the site that the VO contact is based is the best place to introduce people to the Grid.  We should therefore try and align the services we offer.   I would appreciate feedback on my plans for the Tier-1, I want people to feel that this will benefit all GridPP sites.

this is how we did it with LSST. First direct access and then Dirac, then file catalogue. I cannot say they appreciated it considering they are showing around a "post-mortem" which is one of the reason you are now sending this email.

cheers
alessandra

2) We should have a discussion about how best to describe the problems people will face if they need to use distributed resources.  We should also discuss how best to describe the various software and services we have used to solve them.

If anyone would like to send me suggested input in advance, I will try and incorporate this into the agenda.

Agenda can be found here:
https://indico.cern.ch/event/779045/

Alastair

To unsubscribe from the TB-SUPPORT list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=TB-SUPPORT&A=1

--
Respect is a rational process. \\//
For Ur-Fascism, disagreement is treason. (U. Eco)