Department of Sociology, Durham University, UK

Economic and Social Research Council Studentships (ESRC)

The Department of Sociology, Durham University, UK, is pleased to invite applications for ESRC-funded PhD Research Studentships starting in October 2019.

The Department is part of the Northern Ireland and North East England Doctoral Training Partnership (NINE DTP).  We can nominate candidates for NINE DTP-funded PhD study in the following pathways:

·         Sociology, Social Policy and Social Work

·         Children, Youth and Families

·         Health, Well-Being and Society

The Department has a thriving postgraduate research community, working closely with academic staff known for their world-leading expertise in Sociology, Criminology, Social Policy and Social Work. We organise our research around the following themes: Communities and Social Justice; Higher Education and Inequality; Violence and Abuse; Health; and Transgressive Leisure. We particularly welcome applications linked to these themes, see www.dur.ac.uk/sociology/postgraduate/research/disciplines/

The deadline for applications to the Department of Sociology is 18 January, 2019.

Please apply online to the Department of Sociology.  For further details of how to apply, see www.dur.ac.uk/sociology/postgraduate/pgr/applications/

NINE DTP studentships cover tuition fees and a tax-free maintenance grant (for 2018-19 this was £14,777 per annum) as well as access to Research Support and Training Grants.  Studentships can include funding for MA Research Methods or Postgraduate Certificate study prior to starting a PhD if required. To be eligible for a full studentship you must have settled status in the UK. Fees only awards are available to applicants who are ordinarily resident in an EU member state although we will always ensure that EU students awarded funding will receive a full studentship through the use of institutional matched funding – so EU students will receive the full award. Full details of eligibility and the application process are on the NINEDTP website. Please read the information about NINE DTP studentships before applying. www.ninedtp.ac.uk/the-application-process/

Once your application is received, the Department will then select candidates for nomination to NINE DTP.

Please contact us if you are interested in applying, as it is vital that you work with a potential supervisor to develop your research proposal well in advance of the deadline.

Department of Sociology Research Administrator, [log in to unmask]
+44 (0)191 334 1485

Department of Sociology Director of Postgraduate Research, Professor Sarah Banks, [log in to unmask]  +44 (0) 191 33 41497

Professor Sarah Banks
Chair in Applied Social Sciences &

Co-director, Centre for Social Justice and Community Action

Department of Sociology
Durham University
29 Old Elvet
Durham.
DH1 3HN
Tel + 44 191 3341497
Fax + 44 191 3341401

Web profile

Centre for Social Justice and Community Action, www.durham.ac.uk/ocialjustice/

Collaborative research  project, Imagine: Connecting Communities through Research

Recent article: Pathways to co-impact: action research and community organising. Educational Action Research 25(4): 541-559.

To unsubscribe from the SOCIAL-POLICY list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=SOCIAL-POLICY&A=1