Dear Heidi, Karel, and all,

I’d love to join in this discussion, but I'm stuck with a number of pressing commitments that demand my attention. Just a few minor comments then. Yesterday, for not unrelated reasons I was refreshing my mind on the issue of hand washing by doctors and nurses. I was trying to track down some key dates that signalled when you were more likely to live than die when visiting a hospital or general practitioner. What struck me was that TO THIS VERY DAY, there is an ongoing battle to get doctors and nurses to wash their hands between consultations with patients. In the face of this evidence, we need humility.

The so called 'Center for Health Experience Design’ struck me as being at the opposite pole. I quote from their blurb:

> The Center for Health Experience Design (CHXD) is a community that is designed to foster connection across the health ecosystem. It is only by working together that we can solve the toughest health challenges.
>
> We have built this community to break down silos that prevent each one of us from making transformative change. Here you will be able to connect with like-minded individuals at organizations around the world with the goal of accelerating change.

Phrases like:
> health ecosystem, break down silos, transformative change, accelerating change

Make me want to reach for my gun! (How unpc can I become?)

Why is it that some designers in our time are afflicted with such hubris? Is it something in the water?

This, btw, is a serious question.

David
--

blog: http://communication.org.au/blo <http://communication.org.au/blo>g/
web: http://communication.org.au <http://communication.org.au/>

Professor David Sless BA MSc FRSA
CEO • Communication Research Institute •
• helping people communicate with people •

Mobile: +61 (0)412 356 795
Phone: +61 (03) 9005 5903
Skype: davidsless

60 Park Street • Fitzroy North • Melbourne • Australia • 3068