Dear All,

The concept of non-anthropocentric design involves the importance of attending to what happens when we design things that affect stakeholders other than human beings. This requires a broad enough knowledge of the non-human world to make responsible scientific claims. Many discussions of non-anthropocentric design take place within a conversation on philosophical positions. Even this requires understanding the larger context of design.

Depending on which non-human stakeholder needs we address when we discuss non-anthropocentric design, or non-anthropocentric design research.

Nearly all the references and notes posted to this list seem to be drawn from the design literature. That would be fine if all we want to do is to make human-centred statements about what we — as human beings — intend to design with respect to the non-human world. While there is no way to escape the fact of our human limits, there is nevertheless a rich literature written by people who attend to the non-human world. I was startled to see few references to that literature.

Only two posts referred to work by anyone who focuses directly on the voices of the non-human — Laura Ogden and Temple Grandin.

While I posted the note on Temple Grandin, the world of the non-anthropocentric isn’t my specialty. I do know that the literature is there — I’ve browsed it over the years, and I’d be curious to know if any list members can post a few more references to the work of people who actually work with or study and listen to non-humans.

If we’re serious about non-anthropocentric design research and non-anthropocentric design, it’s important to find a way to attend to the voice, experience, and world-view of non-humans. This is admittedly difficult, but some people have dedicated their lives to bringing these voices forward, translating them so that the rest of us can gain insight into the non-human world. A good reading list would be of value in a thread such as this.

Yours,

Ken

--

Ken Friedman, Ph.D., D.Sc. (hc), FDRS | Editor-in-Chief | 设计 She Ji. The Journal of Design, Economics, and Innovation | Published by Tongji University in Cooperation with Elsevier | URL: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/she-ji-the-journal-of-design-economics-and-innovation/

Chair Professor of Design Innovation Studies | College of Design and Innovation | Tongji University | Shanghai, China ||| Email [log in to unmask] | Academia http://swinburne.academia.edu/KenFriedman | D&I http://tjdi.tongji.edu.cn