I agree 100%. Testing these ideas out in my own research. Thanks for the read. Reach out if you would like to chat.

Rebecca D Kelly | Assistant Professor

Communications Design

Syracuse University
College of Visual and Performing Arts
School of Design
The Warehouse 350 W. Fayette St.
Syracuse, New York 13202

@su_commdesign

o 315.443.2455  f 315.443.9688  e [log in to unmask]

On 12/13/18, 11:37 AM, "PhD-Design - This list is for discussion of PhD studies and related research in Design on behalf of CHARLES BURNETTE" <[log in to unmask] on behalf of [log in to unmask]> wrote:

    Ken, Heidi, Klaus and Colleagues,

    I just posted a paper at independent.academia.edu/charlesburnette <http://independent.academia.edu/charlesburnette> entitled A Theory of Situated Design Thinking that describes Design Thinking as a general process that can de applied to any subject or situation to address any interest, concern, need or desire in order to improve the circumstances and capabilities involved. In this view, the purpose and focus for design thought and action is determined by the situation of concern, its background, context and the intentions regarding it. It is up to each individual, designing alone or collectively, to improve the situations that concern them. The debate about where to focus collective efforts is useful only if there is knowledge of how and what to do and the will and capacity to do it.  A shared understanding of designing as a general process is necessary for effective interdisciplinary collaboration and resolution of any concern. Human centered design is a moral obligation. Other concerns may need competent, committed designers with knowledge appropriate to the situations they address. Many knowledgeable people may be involved but unfamiliar with design thinking and its potentials. Sharing knowledge of design is our responsibility.

    Or, so I believe,
    Chuck