Please circulate this announcement in your lab

January 22nd 2019, 14h30-16h00
Salle de Rhumatologie, Hôpital Pellegrin, 12th floor

Gerd Müller (Konrad Lorenz Institute - Vienna)

"Do we need an extended evolutionary synthesis ?"

Séminaire commun de l'unité ImmunoConcept et PhilInBioMed

Open to all

Significant advances in several areas of evolutionary biology have provided a wealth of new knowledge about the factors responsible for evolutionary change, prompting a debate about whether a renewed theoretical synthesis is required. This lecture will present the principal arguments in support of one of the proposals for a reformed theoretical framework, the extended evolutionary synthesis. Whereas the standard theory and its various amendments concentrate on genetic variation in populations, the extended framework emphasizes the role of constructive processes, causal reciprocity, and systems dynamics in the evolution of organismal complexity. I will discuss the principal components, logical structure, and specific predictions of the extended synthesis concept.

Gerd B. Müller is Professor and Head of the Department of Theoretical Biology at the University of Vienna (Austria). He is the President of the Konrad Lorenz Institute for Evolution and Cognition Research (KLI). For more information on this seminar please click here.

During his stay in Bordeaux Gerd Müller will be available for individual discussions. PhD students, postdocs, researchers or other persons interested in a meeting with Gerd Müller can leave their name and email address here so that we might arrange for a convenient time to meet with him.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,
Wiebke Bretting

--
Dr. Wiebke Bretting
Project Manager ERC IDEM

To unsubscribe from the MERSENNE list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=MERSENNE&A=1