Colman O Clabaigh wrote:

Can anyone advise me as to when it became the practice to divide the text of the Rule of St Benedict into shorter sections for reading at the daily Chapter Office. I write on behalf of a colleague who is doing some work on material from Regensburg dating to the 12-13th centuries.

I'm not sure that I fully understand the question. The division of the Rule of St Benedict into chapters doesn't seem to have anything to do with the daily "Chapter Office". The reason for that name is mysterious, but its first mention seem to be in the Rule of St Chrodegang. It is only mentioned in a monastic context (much?) later.

John Briggs