From: Lindsay Wallace
Sent: 20 December 2018 16:35
To: 'Zena Ali' <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: Referencing

Hi Zena

I think sometimes we assume too much knowledge.  I was once asked by an Engineering Tutor to do a session for his students on extracting information from a book and I combined this with referencing books.  It was a part time course with a wide age-group.

I explained that the official title and publisher are on the title page, not the cover.

Why author surname is first (alphabetical order, and authority)

The difference between editions and reprints

That the publisher’s name and location are important – and why, what does this tell the reader – it isn’t obvious

That the printer’s name and location are not important

I have also deconstructed journal references in a similar way.

I also think that constructing a few references from scratch does help learning where copying others doesn’t have the same impact.

A great tutorial for this if you use Harvard is this one (Yes, even the engineers liked it!) http://library.northampton.ac.uk/liberation/ref/cat.php I’m happy to send you my (very old) slides too if you are interested.

Best wishes
Lindsay
Lindsay Wallace
Head of Library and Learning Resources