Dear all

This is a call for applications to the summer school Conceptualizing, Navigating, and Representing the Field in Migration Studies which will take place at Central European University in Budapest from the 1st to the 5th of July 2015..

Further details, including how to apply, are here: https://summeruniversity.ceu.edu/migration-2019?fbclid=IwAR2fZnv9HgFfdWIQVDt9j1Nnslr2-fEk1kCIC2rIAWmloYNDUYtXPeo_kdc

Please see below a description of the School.  We look forward to applications.

with best wishes
Prem

Prem Kumar Rajaram
Associate Professor, Sociology and Social Anthropology
Head, CEU Open Learning Initiative (OLIve)
Central European University

***

Conceptualizing, Navigating, and Representing the Field in Migration Studies

Course Director(s):
Celine Cantat
Center for Policy Studies, Central European University, Budapest, Hungary
Prem Kumar Rajaram
Department of Sociology and Social Anthropology/CEU Open Learning Initiative (OLIve, Central European University, Budapest, Hungary

Course Faculty:
Zsuzsanna Arendas
Center for Policy Studies, Central European University/Center for Social Sciences, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Budapest, Hungary
Olena Fedyuk
Center for Policy Studies, Central European University, Budapest, Hungary
Shahram Khosravi
Department of Social Anthropology, Stockholm University, Sweden
Vera Messing
Center for Policy Studies, Central European University/ Center for Social Sciences, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Budapest, Hungary
Katerina Rozakou
Independent researcher
Violetta Zentai
Center for Policy Studies, Central European University, Budapest, Hungary
Zsuzsanna Vidra
Center for Policy Studies, Central European University/Institute for Intercultural Psychology and Education, Eotvos Lorand University, Budapest, Hungary

BRIEF COURSE DESCRIPTION
What do we focus on when we undertake ‘migration studies’? Which types of movement and social relations become examined by migration scholars, and which are left out? This is a summer school on the epistemologies, methodologies, politics and ethics of doing ‘migration studies’. The summer school problematises how we approach, make sense of and write about ‘migration’ with a focus on the field - understood as the theoretically defined disciplinary area of ‘migration studies’ as well as the empirical site of migration research.

We invite graduate students and recent postdoctoral faculty working broadly on migration-related topics to apply to the summer school ‘Conceptualizing, Navigating and Representing the Field in Migration Studies’. Participants should have experience of migration fieldwork, or be about to undertake fieldwork.

The school is arranged around three themes. ‘Conceptualizing the field’ will explore how the field is bounded and its connections with seemingly distant social and political relations and histories. ’Navigating the field’ will look at the methodological, ethical and political issues faced by researchers dealing with often vulnerabilized populations in potentially hostile environments. In ‘Representing the field’, we will study the relation between numbers, maps, museums and the media and how we understand and give meaning to ‘migration’. We will also investigate counter-representation practices.

The school follows a participatory pedagogical model centred on participants’ work and experiences.

Note: The material contained in this communication comes to you from the Forced Migration Discussion List which is moderated by the Refugee Studies Centre (RSC), Oxford Department of International Development, University of Oxford. It does not necessarily reflect the views of the RSC or the University. If you re-print, copy, archive or re-post this message please retain this disclaimer. Quotations or extracts should include attribution to the original sources.

E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Posting guidelines: http://www.forcedmigration.org/research-resources/discussion/forced-migration-discussion-list-posting-guidelines
RSS: https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?RSS&L=forced-migration
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/refugeestudies