Dear Guylene Theriault (Ben, James and Neil)

I woke up this morning to read this fascinating discussion! To my mind, screening, diagnostic investigation, diagnosis confirmation and treatment decisions involve combinations of thresholds, individual risk assessments and personal preferences.

A ‘sensitive’ threshold can be set for a diagnostic screening test using a ROC curve, on one side of which no reasonable person would ever accept a treatment for that diagnosis because the probability of benefit would be so low. This screening test result would be deemed ‘negative’ and the patent reassured. However, for a ‘positive result’, one has to consider its differential diagnosis (the ‘specificity’ is of little help for this purpose). The numerical value of the ‘positive’ test result for an individual patient would determine the probabilities of the differential diagnoses for that patient (the probabilities would differ greatly for borderline and extreme test results for example).

The criterion for labeling a patient with a diagnosis should depend on the probability of some benefit at the cut-off (even in the absence of any possible harm) that should lead to a suggestion that the patient should consider its treatments. Thus if the probability of benefit were to be so low that no reasonable patient would accept a treatment, then all results at that level and below could be regarded as ‘negative’ and those above the cut-off as positive. (See my recent paper in JECM on arriving at diagnostic definitions in an evidence-based way: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/jep.12981).

However, if the ‘diagnostic test result’ (or score based on a number of test results) were positive it would be important to estimate the probability of benefit in the light of that patient’s particular test result(s). The probabilities of various harms should also be estimated based on that patient’s various characteristics. The probable effects on that particular patient of the benefits and harms would also have to be considered. From this information the patient would be expected to assess the probability of personal overall well being with and without the treatment. (Perhaps this might be done by using Decision Analysis.) On this basis, the patient might be able to make a decision, perhaps by first specifying a personal threshold of a probable resultant benefit above which a decision would be made to go ahead.

The diagnosis appears to be important. For example, I would not have thought giving a lipid lowering drug to high CVS risk patient with a BP of 200/130 and a cholesterol/HDL ratio of 3.5 would have the same effect as giving a lipid lowering agent to someone with cholesterol/HDL ratio of 7.7 and a BP of 120/80. In the former case, the diagnosis would be ‘hypertension’ causing a high CVS risk whereas in the latter it would be ‘dyslipidaemia’ causing a high CVS risk. Many patients would have both or many more diagnoses of course. So the process involves diagnoses, test result thresholds, probability estimates based on a patient’s individual tests results, personal value judgements and personal thresholds for risk.

Added to this is the positive cost-benefit to the health service budget of reducing the number of CVS events. Treating all those with a slightly elevated risk would have a substantial effect because there are many more patients with slightly elevated risks (as they are nearer the mean of the distribution) than those with a high risk (of which there are numerically fewer as they are further out in the tail). Perhaps we should ask patients to accept treatment for slightly elevated risks for the common good as an act of altruism! They could stop the treatment if they actually suffered some adverse effect.

Small wonder that many patients ask “What would you do if you were in my position?”

Huw Llewelyn