Hi Vasya. Thank you for your note. I have been wondering in recent years whether Cochrane is still necessary but I simply don’t believe there is a Cochrane conspiracy. As I suggested, let’s focus on the science not conspiracy theories.

Cheers Rod

* * * * * * * *
sent from my phone

On 8/12/2018, at 09:39, Vasiliy Vlassov <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

Dear Rod,

I tend to believe that what Juan is attracting our attention for is very important problem. I agree with Juan and John. The editorial John wrote is accurate and you may find in it the explanation that 'bad behaviour' is a nonsense, and the action was inappropriate and entertained to silence the critique.

Common sense is not enough. I myself involved in the Cochrane collaboration activities now for 22 years (not as deep as I want to), and have experience of the clash with hard driving CPG myself, and I know that people like him created, minted the CC, and all the subject area this list is about. When people like K. Dickersin, Zbys Fedorovich leave the CC - it is a trouble of the very important organization. And it is trouble for the science we are with here.

Vasya

On 2018-12-07 23:15, Rod Jackson wrote:
Dear Juan. I’m not involved with Cochrane in any way, but it is common knowledge that the ‘bad behaviour’ you acknowledge was real and not a one-off incident, nor limited to the ex-member’s interactions with Cochrane. I don’t believe any team should have to put up with unacceptable behaviour from members. I don’t in the teams I’m involved in.

So I am concerned that you may be confusing the appropriate response by a team to the unacceptable behaviour of a member with ‘silencing science.’

I have remained silent throughout this whole discussion, but after reading your latest communication, I finally decided to respond.

There may be a Cochrane crisis but please can we focus specifically on the science and move on from how Cochrane managed the ‘bad behaviour’ of a member. It seems very unlikely that this was a conspiracy to stifle scientific debate. While critical contrarian voices are essential to scientific debate, ‘extreme voices’ have a tendency to inhibit rather than facilitate debate.

Cheers Rod Jackson

sent from my phone