From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Phil Bradshaw
Sent: 19 December 2018 14:30
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [data-protection] Next of Kin/Emergency Contact Details for Students

Unlike Jon, who I do not often disagree with, I can think of many legitimate reasons why a controller might reasonably need emergency contact details - e.g. death in the lecture theater as an extreme. Consent not really relevant* and I doubt if the right to object would often override as that needs to be based on "grounds relating to particular situation".

* although you may in such cases have difficulty in sourcing the information.

On the particular question the issue would then be what grounds has the subject given which would override legitimate interest - without those the right to erasure will not arise.

All user commands can be found at https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help/subscribers/subscribercommands.html