Dear All

Please see below which might be of interest, particularly for PhD
researchers, supervisors, postdocs based in London:

spooky action at the Bartlett:
call for proposals for the ‘PhD Research Projects’ expanded programme
18/02/19 - 01/03/19

‘Each one teach one—we got to pass it on / Keep doing the knowledge,
building and adding on / With faith in the assumption / That nobody knows
everything but everybody knows something

– Dead Prez, Learning Growing Changing, 2012

Each year, researchers from the Bartlett’s PhD programme present their work
at a one day conference and in an exhibition on the ground floor of the
Bartlett School of Architecture, 22 Gordon Street, London, open to the
public for two weeks. This year, in a student-led initiative, the Bartlett
‘PhD Research Projects’ conference aims to expand this programme and test
the boundaries of what an ‘exhibition’, ‘conference’ or even the
presentation of a ‘PhD’ should look like. We are seeking proposals for
workshops, performances, walking tours, presentations, happenings – and
more – for an expanded, public programme that shares doctoral research, to
take place in and around the exhibition at 22 Gordon Street from 18/02/19 -
01/03/19.

We are interested in the fuzzy edges, the ideas-still-in-formation of the
PhD research process, the connections we see and the ones we don’t, pulling
and shifting. A form of ‘spooky action at a distance’, to coin Questlove’s
reimagining of Albert Einstein’s quantum theories: “Einstein was talking
about physics, of course, but to me, he’s talking about something closer to
home – the way that other people affect you, the way that your life is
entangled in theirs whether or not there’s a clear line of connection.”

We want to discuss the support systems which nourish – and the structural
dynamics which impoverish – the research process. We believe the PhD is as
much about finding the right playlists and referencing hacks, participants
and data sets, WhatsApp groups and Google Docs – as research methodologies
and navigating ethics in the field. We invite you to use the exhibition
space to test out a methodology, to share a skill you have honed, to voice
a working idea or to perform a piece in the works.

We invite doctoral researchers from UCL – and beyond – to join us in this
inquiry by sharing their research and ideas, their knowledge of skills,
materials or tools, or dilemmas and experiences of PhD research. We are
also interested to hear proposals from alumni, supervisors, administrators
and those considering embarking on a PhD.

Proposals are welcome for either – or both – of the following:

Hosting pop-up ‘exhibition events’ [between 18/02/19 - 01/03/19]: to take
place in or around the exhibition space. These can be presentations,
workshops, round tables, live experiments, performances, guided walks or
reading groups – to name a few. You may also wish to propose a panel, joint
or a group event that discusses divergent approaches or shared ideas around
a theme. We are especially interested to hear of radical ideas we haven’t
considered.

‘PhD confessionals’: to take place at the Closing Night [01/03/19]. For the
closing night, we are interested in reflections on your PhD research and/or
process. These confessionals can take any form – diaristic or fictional
accounts, readings of notes, reflections on writing up, extracts from
chapters finished – or in formation. These are to be performed (by you or
others) or presented on the closing night at an informal event with drinks
and discussion with invited respondents.

We are particularly interested in how proposals can engage a wider
audience, or are tailored to specific groups – please make clear in your
proposal who you anticipate this audience to be. We hope to be able to
offer a small contribution towards material or preparation costs, if
required and through prior discussion.

We especially encourage proposals from LGBTQI, feminist, and BME scholars.
Proposals should include a title, a 300-word abstract, 3-5 images of
proposed work to be shared or links to films of performances (if relevant),
and a short biographical statement. Please submit your proposal, any
special materials or space requirements and your preferred date to Sophie,
Thom and Thandi at [log in to unmask] by Friday 14 December, 12
noon. Participants will be selected by a student and staff panel at the
Bartlett School of Architecture. As far as space and resources allow, we
will endeavour to accommodate as many proposals as possible. A selection
will be made on the basis of themes which emerge from the submissions
received.

‘Nobody knows everything but everybody knows something’/

We look forward to learning something with you.

[image: spooky action call for proposals__final.jpg]

very best
Thandi