[Apologies for cross-posting. Please share.]

CALL FOR PAPERS

AISB 2019 Symposium on Movement that Shapes Behaviour: Rethinking how we can form relationships with non-humanlike embodied agents

SYMPOSIUM WEBSITE: http://aisb2019.machinemovementlab.net

As part of the 2019 AISB Convention, Falmouth, UK, 16-18 April 2019

CONVENTION WEBSITE: http://aisb2019.falmouthgamesacademy.com/

This symposium is a transdisciplinary forum for exploring the potential of movement for shaping the expressive and relational capacities of non-humanlike robots and how we perceive them as social agents. Social robots are expected to affect every aspect of our lives in the near future. Currently, the design of social robots in research labs often mimic humanlike or animal-like features, both in terms of how they look and how they behave. This symposium will bring together researchers and practitioners to explore how movement qualities can enable an embodied agent to communicate non-verbally, take on a social presence, make connections or enact an identity without mimicking living creatures.

We particularly invite contributions from researchers and practitioners developing interdisciplinary theories, concepts and/or approaches that can inform or directly tackle embodied, interactive experiences with machine-like (non-humanlike) agents.

LIST OF TOPICS

The symposium welcomes submissions addressing, but not limited to, the following topics:

- Conceptual/methodological innovations focusing on motion design and/or non-verbal behaviour for non-humanlike embodied, analogue or digital agents;
- Studies and practices involving concepts or methods from dance, puppetry, and theatre;
- Social agency, expectations and empathy in relation to embodied agents, e.g., movement versus appearance;
- Embodied insights from practitioners in art, dance, performance, theatre, in particular with regards to embodying other 'bodies', relation-making through movement dynamics, and/or kinesthetic empathy;
- Social role/potential of movement and behaviours in human-robot interaction;
- Movement design and machine learning;
- Interdependence of motion capacity and a robot's perceptual experience;
- Studies involving cognitive psychology or social psychology, relating to the movement or behaviour of abstract robots/objects;
- Participant/audience studies focusing on movement and/or non-verbal behaviour;
- Motion design for collaborative robots in the workplace;
- Robot theatre; physical theatre involving embodied agents; theatrical HRI;
- Human-robot interaction and social implications; and,
- Studies, in the world and in the 'wild', looking at the social potential of machinelike embodied agents.

INFORMATION FOR AUTHORS

We welcome contributions of different lengths including extended abstracts of up to two pages; short papers up to four pages; or, long papers up to eight pages. All page counts include figures, notes and references. Contributions should be submitted for peer review using easychair.

Please use the AISB template, available for download at:
http://aisb2019.falmouthgamesacademy.com/programme/submissions/

For more information, please contact Petra Gemeinboeck: [log in to unmask]

ORGANISING COMMITTEE

- Petra Gemeinboeck, Falmouth University (UK) and The University of NSW (Australia)
- Rob Saunders, Falmouth University (UK) and The University of Sydney (Australia)
- Elizabeth Jochum, Aalborg University (Denmark)