Dear members and friends,

2018 has been a very successful year for ARLIS UK & Ireland, and after some very difficult times, I am proud to say that due to the dedication and hard work of all Council and Committees members, Conference Working Party members, Officers, and the Art Libraries Journal Editors, the future of ARLIS UK & Ireland looks very bright.

Dublin was a very hard act to follow, but the London CWP has done a magnificent job and the 2018 Conference at the AA has been one of the most successful in ARLIS UK & Ireland’s history, with truly stimulating presentations and workshops showcasing a great variety of voices, perspectives and experiences, and thanks to the generosity of the AA, Christie’s and CSM, who offered their venues for free for the conference and the two evening receptions respectively, and the enthusiastic and generous support of our sponsors, this conference has been a great financial success allowing us, together with the income from the Art Libraries Journal, to have the funds for our 50th Anniversary Conference and other anniversary events and awards.

The 50th anniversary conference will be held in beautiful Glasgow, a city rich in history, art and culture, and will be held 15-17 July. Although the bookings have not opened yet, we have already received many enquiries from colleagues from home and away who are planning to attend. This is testimony to the high quality of our conferences and promising to be another great conference.

Thank you to the generosity of an anonymous donor, for which we are most grateful, we have been able to offer the Research Award and the Travel and Study Fund.

With the approach of the Society’s 50th anniversary, it is the ideal time to pause and take stock and to appreciate the contribution of all past volunteers that have served as Officers, Council, Committees and CWP members, special projects and occasional supporters, and Art Libraries Journal Editors. They have been the lifeblood of the society, and I’d like to thank all past and present volunteers for their dedication and support.

As you know, the Art Libraries Journal, the peer reviewed journal of the Society, is now published by CUP, and it is great credit to our Editor and Deputy Editor who made the transition happen, that it has been a great success. We have tried a new membership model linking the subscription to the ALJ to the ARLIS UK & Ireland membership, but it proved to be difficult to manage as quite a few institutions access the ALJ via bundles. The Council therefore made a proposal at the last AGM to reverse to the traditional model of separating the two. As, due to the low attendance,  we did not have the quorum at the AGM to vote the change straight away, we have taken an online ballot. We received a positive vote by 52%, with 3% voting against and, quite sadly, 44% of members did not respond. The new model will therefore be implemented from Jan 2019. Our membership remains extremely affordable offering good discounts to institutional and personal members. Our Membership Secretary will keep you informed about members events and discounts.

I’d like to wish you all to have very Happy Christmas Holidays and all the very best for 2019. I hope we will see many of you at our events and that more of you will get actively involved with the work of the society.

With very best wishes,

Carla

        *~~~~

         *J*

      *J J*

    *J J J*

  *J J J J*

*J J J J J*

Carla Marchesan

Chair ARLIS UK & Ireland

T +44 (0)20 7613 8507

http://www.arlis.net/

Visit the official page of ARLIS UK & Ireland http://www.arlis.net/Home. Subscribe to https://arlismatters.wordpress.com/, to receive regular posts on art library and archive matters; news, print and digital art and design resources, artists’ books, recent and upcoming events and exhibitions, ARLIS/UK & Ireland publications, job listings and professional profiles.