The Institute of Conservation (Icon) Book & Paper Group are proud to
announce that applications are now open for the Frederick Bearman Research
Grant 2019. The grant was created last year in response to suggestions from
members who asked that we find a way to remember Fred and his contribution
to the conservation profession. In collaboration with those closest to Fred
we are delighted to be able to offer an annual £1000 research bursary to
support new research into the conservation of books, paper and related
materials.

Frederick Bearman led a diverse international career as a distinguished
conservator, educator and administrator in the field of rare books and
archives. He worked for institutions in the UK and USA, including the
Public Record Office, Camberwell College of Arts, Columbia University
Libraries and University College London. He was loved and respected by
friends and colleagues across our profession.

The Book and Paper Group will award one annual grant of up to £1000. Any
Icon member can apply, and we welcome applications from members at all
stages of their careers, either as individuals or collaborations. We are
looking for interesting and informative projects such as preliminary
investigations into old and new materials, tools and techniques, or a study
of a particular collection or binding style.  Perhaps there is something
you have been meaning to explore but haven’t found the time or the funds?
Or even research you have already started but haven't had the support to
finish? You may be a recent graduate who wants to expand on your MA
research, or a seasoned conservator who needs funding to follow an idea.
Even small discoveries that you have made could have a big impact on the
conservation community!

The recipient(s) of the grant will present their investigations as the
keynote speaker(s) at the Frederick Bearman Memorial Lecture in December
2019 which will provide an exciting, informative and welcoming platform
through which to share your investigations with the conservation community.

Applications are open from now until 8 February 2019. The winner will be
selected by an expert panel and notified by the following month.

For more information and further details on how to apply please visit the Icon
website <https://icon.org.uk/groups/book-paper/fred-bearman-research-grant>.
We look forward to receiving your applications.
--
Rebecca Goldie
Icon Book and Paper Group Bursaries Officer